Most people who know me have been subjected to my continuous cries for T.L.C this week as I have been suffereing with a dreadfull cold.
My superfood combat was initiated promptly after the first sniffle, my superfoods would conquer over this foreign enemy I was sure of it!
However it appeared that the cold was definitely not shifting so I began to rekindle my love affair with “potions”, Old wives tales, well Richy’s mums traditional remedy more like.
The main guy was the don of the citrus family… the Lemon.
On the tongue its bitter but used appropriately proves time and time again to be invaluable within the kitchen, and here is why;
Top ten reasons to ensure lemons are high on the agenda!
1. Mixed with hot water an effective potion is created for curing problems like digestive disorders, nausea, and heartburn
2. Regular consumption of lemon juice in the morning stimulates the bile-producing capacity of liver and aids digestion.
3. Lemons can promote the absorption of calcium and iron from natural foods.
4. The high vitamin C content (one regular-sized lemon supplies about 30 percent of an average person’s daily requirement) of lemons treats infections like asthma, tonsillitis and sore throat.
5. Concentrated juice of lemon also helps in dissolving stones present in the gall bladder.
6. Eating lemons also hastens healing of wounds and helps to lower high body temperature.
7. Lemon is also a well-known diuretic. Thus, it helps to treat problems associated with urinary tract infections.
8. Eating lemons also helps to dispel problems like arthritis or rheumatism.
9. Lemon juice mixed with glycerin is an effective remedy for smoothening chapped lips.
10. Lastly you can always put it in your bath for a deep cleanse.
From this it is easy to see the link with old wives tales and this member of the citrus family.
When buying lemons make sure you are meticulous, choose the ones that are smallish, heavy for their size, shiny, smooth or fine-grained skins oh and of course yellow! large lemons may be very appealing but it is an illusion, they are often thick-skinned and contain less of the essential juice!